Welcome to the future! NEFRL is the only naturist library to offer digital lending.
A large consortium of libraries have come up with an excellent guide on how to implement "Controlled Digital Lending" of library items. NEFRL aims to meet these requirements in order to provide easier access to the interesting treasures we house.
The "Controlled Digital Lending" requirements are:
1. ensure that original works are acquired lawfully;
2. apply CDL only to works that are owned;
3. limit the total number of copies in any format in circulation at any time to the number of physical copies the library lawfully owns;
4. lend each digital version only to a single user at a time just as a physical copy would be loaned;
5. limit the time period for each lend to one that is analogous to physical lending; and
6. use digital rights management (DRM) to prevent wholesale copying and redistribution.
NEFRL is adhering to these requirements as follows:
1. The library's items are originals, lawfully acquired. If there's any question, the item will not be circulated.
2. The library owns all items, and does not accept licensed content currently.
3. The digital lending system checks the number of circulation copies and prevents transactions that would put NEF over the limit. This may result in delays fulfilling your request, as items must be "returned" before they can be loaned again.
4. We provide private links to a single user and caution against sharing them.
5. Loan period is set by library policy. At the end, the loaned items are "returned", and the private link no longer works.
6. The NEF library uses methods that are better than DRM. While a user can usually break DRM and anonymously share it without worry, NEFRL uses invisible watermarking technology to embed the patron ID into every loaned file, often multiple ways. No matter where the files end up, NEFRL can identify the source, remove their access on a permanent basis, and point law enforcement to them if/when there are legal repercussions. This is clearly communicated to the library patron numerous times during the lending process: Do not download items, or share links, as this puts yourself at risk.
Step 1: You must be a library member.
You must fill out this form, and you must find a sponsor to fill out the bottom part. (Click here for a list of willing sponsors.)
The sponsor will check your ID and verify that you'll be a member in good standing.
The form can be mailed, or scanned and emailed. Please send to the address on the contact page.
Step 2: Browse our materials lists.
Categories which list "Access: Digital Lending" will have items with "digital asset tags" if they are available. Anything you find that sounds interesting, write down the asset tag. We're working to digitize items, so more will be added over time. Keep an eye on our newsletters to see what's new.
Step 3: Make your request.
Use the email address you signed up with, and email email@example.com
Use the phone number you signed up with, and text 970-31-NAKED (970-316-2533).
Include your library member number (NEF######), and the list of asset tags (like "audio100" for example), in your request.
Current Library Policy:
We will confirm receipt of your request.
Step 4: Wait for the link.
Depending on your request, availability of library items, and availability of library volunteers, it may take several days to process your request. Please be patient.
However you sent in your request (email or text), we will respond with a private link to access your items. Enjoy them at your leisure for the duration of the checkout. Please do not download anything or share the private link with anyone else -- we're trusting you to adhere to the rules.
Want to see an example of a digital loan? Click here!